Skip to main content

26 killed in attack on Christians in Egypt

 Source: cpnagasaki.wordpress.com


















 Masked gunmen have attacked a group of Coptic Christians in southern Egypt, killing 26 people and wounding 26 others as they were driving to a monastery, medical sources and witnesses say.
The group was travelling on Friday in two buses and a small truck in Minya province, which is home to a large Christian minority, the sources said.
Provincial governor Essam al-Bedaiwy said earlier that 23 people had been killed and 25 wounded.
Witnesses said the Copts were attacked as they were going to pray at the monastery of Saint Samuel the Confessor in the province, which is south of Cairo.
They said masked men stopped the vehicles on a road leading to the monastery and opened fire.
Coptic Christians, who make up about 10 per cent of Egypt's population of 92 million, have been the subject of a series of deadly attacks in recent months.
About 70 have been killed in bomb attacks on churches in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Tanta since December.
Those attacks were claimed by Islamic State.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Friday's attack.

Comments

Trending

Tiger Woods' ex Lindsey Vonn is having the time of her life in Monaco

Couple get a ring tattooed on their fingers as they get engaged

Karrueche Tran Granted 5 Year Restraining Order Against Chris Brown